Shipping artwork can be a frustrating and time-consuming endeavor, but the right tools and supplies can help ensure that your artwork arrives safely and on time. It is cost-effective to find someone local who can ship the artwork for you. Find a shipping partner provider who will include a business insurance policy that protects your artwork, like Avon Solutions and Logistics, professional shipping partner service providers in India. Learn more about the challenges and insurance conditions involved while shipping artworks through our insightful article below.
How To Safely Ship Artworks?
Let talk about how to ship your artwork so that you do not incur high expenses and safe delivery.
- Plastic wrap is ideal for wrapping artwork and protects artwork from scratches and scuffs.
- Bubble wrap is another option to fill the available space, which might need two to four rolls at a time. When wrapping artwork, make sure the bubbles are facing out and that the flat side of the bubble wrap is facing the painting.
- Use cardboard sheets to add padding to the box corners. Recycling is environmentally friendly, but every cardboard box has a shelf life. Avoid using an old box if you are shipping artwork to a customer.
- To pack a painting, you need to measure your artwork and choose an outer box perfect for accommodating it.
- Place the artwork into a double-layered box to provide extra protection. The second box will be sized to provide a 2″ safety margin in case of a collision.
Challenges While Shipping Artworks
- A freight forwarder can ship your artwork, but they may not come to your studio.
- If your artwork is damaged, the cheap packing tape may end up costing you more money in the long run.
- When shipping large pieces of artwork, the shipping van will charge you for the additional weight, even though the painting only weighs 10 lbs.
- Avoid using Styrofoam peanuts as they make a huge mess. It isn’t easy to unpack a box filled with peanuts without disgorging them all over the unpacking area.
Terms & Conditions of Shipping Insurance
When artwork is damaged during shipping, your courier partners will help proceed with the insurance claims. You should photograph the damage and document the damage to the artwork and packaging. It is also essential to follow the mentioned safety procedures to claim your coverage.
No matter how carefully you pad and protect your artwork, some degree of damage is inevitable. In the event of any damage, you can choose to cover the costs of any damage yourself. Be aware that damage is repairable. However, gaining coverage under a business insurance policy will help you during unfortunate circumstances. Therefore, never fail on the insurance plan while shipping artworks, as you can claim your loss.